the blogger

Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Honesty, the non-ability to lie, lack of tact--whatever you want to call it--has always been my most recognizable flaw.

29 July 2007

new blog!

I've decided to celebrate nothing in particular by getting a new blog--actually, I'm getting a new blog for the sake of newness. Lately, life has been droning monotony; I can't ever remember a summer when I have felt this restless.

I guess that's what college does to you: the best days of your life will be during school, for a change.

I really do miss the people at Brown. I miss my friends, I miss having a good time, I miss the utter lack of responsibilities.

Anyway, in the words of my petulant teenage self: summer sucks.

At the beginning of the summer, I had this fantastic idea. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be awesome if I worked at the mall?" After all, after one year of college and verging on 19 years old, I've never had a job. So I got myself one as a sales associate at Ann Taylor LOFT.

And lemme just say that it's way less glamorous than I thought it was--and I thought it was pretty unglamorous to begin with. At first, I was pretty excited. To tell you the truth, I'm pretty vain. And what easier fun job could there be dressing people up and selling clothes?

To be frank, the clothes at the LOFT start to suck majorly after a while. Everything becomes matronly after you see it on 50 overweight middle-aged women and every season, the color palette consists of, say, two colors + neutrals. Not very exciting, you see.

Not to mention, I work with a major sourpuss for one of my managers. He's too serious, moody, frantic, a bit mean-spirited, and he stutters. All my other gay managers are pretty cool, though. The girls I work with are nice enough, but BLAH. Can we say BORING? Mir ist langweilig! (Note: it can't be a true blog of Liz Dang's if there's no degree of pretension.)

They're always saying, "Oh, Liz, you're so quiet." I'm usually very talkative; if I'm quiet, it's either because a) I feel awkward, or b) I am in way off in lalaland because everything just sucks. And there's not really room for awkwardness when all you're doing is folding shirts and hanging pants.

So, I quit.

It's 3.27 in the morning and I feel as restless as ever.

"BE ADEQUITE!" (teehee!)
Liz Dang

PS: my blog's url, sonetoxvii, is from Neruda. Y'all should check it out; it's my second favorite poem of all time (in the English or the Spanish), right after T. S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

No comments: